Thursday, July 1, 2010

Sweet Red Pepper Jelly

Years ago, my cousin made this jelly for Christmas gifts and it was fantastic, especially on crackers with cream cheese! Since then, I've bought it but never tried making it myself, until this year. Boy is it ever easy to make! I shared one of my unsealed jars with another cousin, who is thoroughly enjoying it and asked that I share the recipe so that she can make it herself too! I combined two recipes, one from C*mp*ny's C*m*ng and one from here. So here it is.....

Sweet Red Pepper Jelly
3c, finely chopped red bell pepper (I actually used Sheppard peppers)
1 1/2c white vinegar
6 1/2c white sugar
170ml (6oz) liquid pectin

Combine the chopped peppers, vinegar and sugar in the saucepan. Bring to a rolling boil and cook for 6 min, stirring constantly.

Stir in the liquid pectin and return to a full rolling boil, boiling hard for 1 min., stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off white foam with a metal spoon.

Ladle the jelly into sterilized jars to within 1/4" of top. Run a plastic spatula next to the glass and run it carefully around the edges to remove any air bubbles. Place sterilized metal lids on jars and screw metal bands on securely. Process in a boiling water bath for 5 min. Makes 6 x 250ml (or half pints).

Note: I canned them in 125ml cans, which I thought was a nicer size for gifting and serving.

If you don't can, I'm sure you can also freeze it. From an answer found on line, let jars cool for 24 hours then freeze. To use, thaw in refrigerator and store in fridge after opening.

No comments:

Post a Comment